22 Mar 2010

Am I a pop-up ad? No, I don't think I am...




These two videos made me think. Not a lot of things can do that, but these succeeded. I started thinking about the speed of life. Being a 70-year old grumpy man at heart I am sad to see some of the things disappear as we turn our faces towards the high-speed society of tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, I am very much pro-innovation, but some of the things we leave behind do make me wish I lived in the '30s-'40s-'50s.







Don't you just agree that some of these things (check out other here) have so much more character and persona than a stupid email of a FedEx delivery? I do and the craving for these exquisite things changes the situation so that I might just have to buy a pocket watch now. I'd love to have one. I wish we could enforce laws on what we can design and not. I love futurism but what really floats my boat is when it is combined with tradition. The way it used to be in the "good 'ol days." Let me bring an example:

Isn't this just so much better than a plastic Casio, fair enough it can do all of the world's calculations in a matter of milliseconds. Someone please invent a time machine and take me back to a time when a lady with a pleasant voice asked you who you wanted to call and your chair was the heart and sweat of a bloke with a mustache and his chisels.

0 comments:

Post a Comment