15 Nov 2009

Excuse me, you are in my FACE!




Having had several hundred people in my face at a club last night I started thinking about personal space and remembered I found this on thecoolhunter.com about a month ago. Its the Blue Frog Lounge in Mumbai. And yes, you guessed it - I love it.

Why is a different matter altogether because it is weird, awkward and quite frankly looks like what can be best described as burst bubblewrap that forms a tramp's shoe. But what it really does is create a social landscape of buzzing and exciting atmosphere. I have always been a fan of integrating light into interior design and this design does this perfectly.

Now, going back to my original aspect of personal space - for what in my mind a "lounge" is supposed to be... this is the most brilliant solution of all. The isolated "holes" provide people with a certain degree of privacy and yet not alienating us from the rest of the room.

To me, this is a perfect of designing for the user and designing for the purpose of the architectural space, which I think is rare. How often do we see architects trying to create some sort of a monument to themselves, rather that thinking about the people who will actually have to use the rooms. Chris Lee and Kapil Gupta, I salute thee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment