3 Jan 2010

Hello? Is there anybody out there?





This is the interior of Fornari Group Offices in Milano. And it's dreadful.

Don't get me wrong, I love open spaces, big rooms with integrated light effects and so on. I mean, if anyone has read this blog (and according to some filthy rumors, there are a few people like that) they would have found out that this design is as much me as a design could possibly be. But what on earth could be wrong then?

Functionality. I can accept the fact that in hallways there is a lot of space that just has to be accessible in an emergency. That is the essence of public architecture and interior design, but could the designer not think of the function a bit more? What I love in design is adaptability. For example being able to use rooms for more than one purpose. For example the front rows in the Nokia Kontserdimaja in Tallinn can be lowered and seats removed to make room for an orchestra. That to me is thoughtful design!

This however is not. Design is not art. Design serves a function other than looking great. Although it has to look great too. Naturally. Otherwise it is rubbish design. That is all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment