14 Jan 2010

Sweet dreams are made of this




Often when something really innovative, different or seemingly brilliant comes along we tend to accept it and choose to think it is ingenious. Well, its not.

When I thought about writing this blog entry I was thinking of what to say. Should I compare it to a walrus and say how it enhances movement, should I say it fits you like a banana fits a monkey or should I say it is as versatile as sleeping equipment as a donkey on roller skates? But then an obscure idea climbed in my ear and decided it was a perfect location for nesting.

Would I like to sleep in one of them? I don't think so. Having been contained by clothes formed to my body all day I rather enjoy a simple square piece of cloth on me at night. I like crossing my toes and trying to fit a heel between them - as you do.

Philippe Starck asks whether a product deserves to exist before he designs one. Does a product that doesn't fulfill its primary function to a satisfying standard deserve to live? Maybe I am just being picky, I will let you decide that and encourage you to challenge a design before glorifying it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment