9 Feb 2010

I am (eco) friendly. Hug me!






I am really into environmentally sustainable design recently and this is no small part due to my eco-design lecture, which has really opened my eyes to what we are doing to momma-earth.

She used to be so gorgeous in her youth, you see, but now it looks as if she has been on meth for about 20 years. We are the meth, people, not greenhouse gases, we are! I have said several times before on this blog that once you put more than two individuals together, collective stupidity reduces our intellectual capabilities to that of a piece of lama manure. Which probably wouldn't be a bad thing, considering manure could be used to boost the soil on our beloved planet.

However, since I am not a critic, but a designer, I mustn't turn this into a guilt-campaign, but look to the future. Thankfully, there are brilliant people and products out there that help me on this quest to rid human kind of general pillock-ness.

The first one is an old concept and this comes in the shape of showers as well as sinks. I even think legislation has been passed to enforce these in areas like with drought problems like Brazil. Or was that the peeing in the shower campaign? Either way, I can't remember, am too tired to look it up and an convinced that both are actually splendid ideas held back by public opinion. Basically, the water used for washing hands and deemed "dirty" is used to flush your toilet. Simple.

The second (and third) design is a bit more interesting - it is the Zelfo Embrace by Elise Gabriel and is made from wood, obviously, and zelfo. At this point you should be asking me what zelfo is. Well, thank you for asking, it is a very good question. Zelfo is a 100% biodegradable cellulose paste that can be used to create strong, lightweight and highly complex shapes. AND it biodegrades. I know, what can be more amazing than that? Penguins of course, but that is a tale for another day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment